Thursday, March 3, 2011

Rae's Itty Bitty Baby Dress

For the first time in the history of my life, I finished a project that required the use of a pattern.  Growing up, I always had these grand ideas where I would tell my mom and wanted to learn how to sew and ask her to "help" me make something...... a doll dress, a skirt, a costume.  Whatever project I started, my poor mom would end up finishing (thank you Mom).  This was all until recently.  
I really wanted to make something for my cousin's baby, and found this little cutie over at Made by Rae.  Honestly, I did not think I would finish it, I mean there is piping and bias tape and gathering (ok, maybe that does not sound daunting to some, but for a beginner sewist, it seemed to be a pattern for a professional).  However, we are teaching our littles about something called "perseverance", and I would hate to be known as a hypocrite.  So, in honor of perseverance, I dug in my heels and finished this little number:




Personally, I think it turned out great.  I wish I had a serger to finish the edges, but other than that I am pretty impressed with myself.  Some of Rae's directions were a bit hard for me to follow, but I ended up figuring it out. 
With this success under my belt I feel like I can accomplish anything.  I even started a maxi dress for myself and with any luck will be posting pictures of it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment